Monday, June 14, 2010

EXTENDED COMMENTS TO OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOGS

FIRST EXTENDED COMMENT - TO JILL'S PEOPLE LIKE US POST

I also played the People Like Us game, where in the end the player is classified into a social class merely for answering basic questions about their decor, food preference, and where they shop. Jill was a little upset at the audacity of people judging other people by such mundane criteria (I'm not quoting, just paraphrasing what I perceive Jill was saying). But she did say she became "aggravated".

My take on the game was one of amusement. While I agree that judgment can be hurtful - we are human and we judge. But I think the game was meant to be funny, if not outrageous (in the comical sense).

Jill argument is something like, "why can't I like champagne AND shop at Wal-Mart? Are social classes really so strictly defined?" I must admit that I love champagne. But I've also been known to buy underwear at (remember) K-Mart. And, as I think everyone should, I like to feel superior to those who buy their $5 AndrĂ© sparkling wine at the corner "package" store. I only drink French champagne. I'm not being mean-spirited though. We have to laugh sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    I agree, I had fun decorating my living room and playing the other social class games! Sometimes we need to just laugh and let it be. I thought the game was outrageous too, just because I wanted a husband to have a job, doesent put me in the lower class-so silly!

    ReplyDelete